- What would a hospitalist model for complex care look like?
- What is the evidence for its effectiveness?
This resource describes a promising new hospitalist model for inpatient treatment of complex care patients.
- In July 2016, Commonwealth Care Alliance and Boston Medical Center created a hospitalist service staffed with physicians and mid-level providers who specialize in complex care.
- This complex care hospitalist model has four fundamental, replicable components: communication, continuity of care, social determinants of health, and specialists in complex care.
- Preliminary results show that patients receiving this service had lower 30-day readmissions rates and lower rates of return to the emergency department, compared with patients receiving traditional hospitalist services.