- What is trauma-informed care?
- What are the steps health care organizations can take to transition to a trauma-informed approach?
This brief offers practical recommendations for health care organizations interested in providing trauma-informed care. Experts recommend that when transitioning to a trauma-informed approach, a health care organization should start with organizational changes before implementing clinical changes. Foundational steps include:
- Building awareness and generating buy-in for a trauma-informed approach;
- Supporting a culture of staff wellness;
- Hiring a workforce that embodies the values of trauma-informed care; and
- Creating a safe physical, social, and emotional environment.