- What are some different ways to incorporate social determinants of health (SDOH) into a health organization’s overall business plan?
- What are the benefits of doing so?
- What are some examples of organizations that are successfully making this shift?
This resource is a guide for payer and provider organizations to invest in social determinants of health (SDOH) and integrate them into their core business model.
- Few health care organizations have incorporated the services that target SDOH directly into their ongoing business operations.
- This paper offers a definition and different categories of “social service investment,” identifies common barriers to such investments, and builds a business case for making them. It also includes case studies of health plans that have gotten started.
- The evidence shows the value of integrating health and social services to improve outcomes and lower health care costs. Initial social service investments have the potential to yield high financial returns within a time frame of 18 months