- What are some promising strategies to advance accountable care?
- What are some lessons learned from the experiences of hospitals?
The Massachusetts Health Policy Commission's Community Hospital Acceleration, Revitalization, and Transformation (CHART) investment program has engaged 25 community hospitals to advance readiness for accountable care payment systems. This resource describes the experiences of two of the hospitals and lessons learned.
- The hospitals implemented strategies to reduce unnecessary hospital utilization; enhance care for individuals with social, behavioral, and medical complexity; and improve post-acute community-based care.
- Locally derived data enable hospitals to plan and implement initiatives that are tailored to their communities.
- Investments in appropriate technologies facilitate near real-time patient engagement upon presentation to the acute care setting and/or immediately post-discharge.
- Non-medical providers are a cost-effective addition to complex care teams.
- Collaboration with community partners improves care continuity and promotes stability outside the hospital.