- What are some evidence-based models of trauma-informed care (TIC) and what are their distinctive features?
- How can organizations maximize the benefits of TIC training for staff?
This resource summarizes feedback from care providers who received training in various evidence-based models of TIC. Key recommendations include:
- In choosing a TIC model, organizations should assess whether the structure of the treatment fits their care models. For example, one model relies on patient groups, and may be most appropriate for a care setting that routinely offers group appointments.
- Before conducting trainings, organizations should consider their staff’s baseline knowledge to determine which staff might benefit the most and how much background information to include.
- Organizations should consider adopting models with well-developed training materials, such as role-play exercises and handouts.
- Organizations should assess the appropriateness of a model for patients, both in terms of complexity and cultural factors.
- It is helpful to be able to implement the model shortly after the training, to allow staff to put their freshly learned skills into practice.