- What are the policy recommendations to potentially improve care for the high-need, high-cost patient population?
This report explores key issues, spending implications, and existing barriers to meeting the needs of high-need, high-cost patients. It suggests policy options for a new federal administration to improve complex care management, care coordination, and integration of services for this population. Recommendations include:
- Promote and improve the design of value-based payment.
- Increase flexibility of accountable providers to pay for non-medical services.
- Provide intensive technical assistance to providers regarding care for high-need, high-cost patients.
- Give high priority to health information exchange.
- Continue active experimentation to accelerate the spread and scale of evidence-based practices.