Technical Assistance Tool
Palliative care can lead to longer survival and better quality of life for patients, while offering a high-leverage opportunity to reduce costs.
- This resource describes three palliative care delivery models: hospital, community-based, and hospice.
- Essential benefits of palliative care include pain and symptom management, goal setting, family caregiver support, and practical and social support.
- Palliative care involves interdisciplinary team-based care and a 24/7 meaningful clinical response.
- Payers can promote palliative care by including a palliative care consultation as a standard benefit with no copay and offering incentive payments for a palliative care consultation.
Posted to The Playbook on
People with Advanced Illness
Key Questions Answered
- What are the benefits of palliative care?
- How can my organization best deliver palliative care?
- How can my organization create incentives for palliative care?
Level of Evidence
Expert OpinionWhat does this mean?