- What is the ideal primary care clinic design for people with complex needs?
- How did one health system establish such a clinic?
- What has Denver Health learned from its experience with the clinic?
Denver Health received a Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation Award to develop an intensive outpatient clinic (IOC) to improve care and lower costs for patients with complex needs. In this resource, co-principal investigator Dr. Holly Batal explains how the clinic works in an interview.
- Using a hospital census system, the clinic enrolls patients who have had three or more hospitalizations in a year. The census system allows staff to invite patients to participate during their hospital stay.
- Features of the clinic include longer appointment times, flexibility for patients to seek care when they’re ready, and much more support from social workers and patient navigators.
- Patients are not meant to stay with the clinic forever, but rather the IOC encourages them to move back to regular primary care when they’re ready.
- Health outcomes and cost savings were still being studied at the time of the interview.