- What are best practices in care management contracting for high-need, high-cost individuals?
- What are the different types of contracts?
- What are the critical elements of an ideal contract process?
This resource reviews best practices in care management contracting based on in-depth interviews with organizations that operate sustainable, effective programs for patients with complex needs. The report and accompanying tool explore different kinds of contracting and offer practical guidance for payers and providers engaging in contract negotiations. Key takeaways include:
- It is critical to identify individuals with persistently high needs and costs, then further segment by need type.
- Guaranteed access to data is crucial for successful care management, as is ensuring contractual specifications on both the type of data and the frequency with which it is shared.
- To promote sustainability, a care management program should provide a return on investment (ROI) over the course of multiple years and meet specified contractual targets.