- What efforts have been made so far to integrate care for dually eligible individuals?
- What are the next steps to expand integration?
This resource describes the findings from a symposium called “The Dual Imperative: What’s Next for Medicare-Medicaid Enrollees,” which brought together policymakers, consumers, advocates, researchers, and health care providers to discuss the future of integration policies and programs for individuals dually eligible for Medicare and Medicaid. Key lessons included:
- Keep consumers front and center: in program design, implementation, continuous quality improvement, and oversight.
- Segment programmatic data to understand the drivers of cost, utilization and quality; customize care based on consumer’s needs and preferences.
- Accelerate evaluation efforts to understand program impact and make needed adjustments.
- Expand access to integrated care, through consumer engagement and education, state capacity development, and continued coordination of related federal and state policies.