- How can my organization develop an effective program for people with serious illness?
- What are the possible business, service, and implementation considerations for such a program?
This resource proposes a Serious Illness Program Design and Implementation Framework (SIP Framework) to guide the development of programs for people with serious illness.
- The process begins with setting a vision and completing a local needs assessment, then walking through a range of possible business models, target populations, and services to guide health care organizations in adapting programs to their local contexts.
- Key implementation considerations include leveraging existing resources, recruiting strong leaders, assembling experienced multidisciplinary care teams, and establishing processes for program evaluation.
- The SIP Framework is designed to inform serious illness program development, replication, and scaling; integrate with care model payment design; and inform other aspects of design such as policy, standardized measurements, and regulatory analysis.
- Next steps for the framework include impact assessment, piloting with future programs, and monitoring program implementation.