Five percent of individuals who use health care services account for 50 percent of the spending.
You’ve heard this statistic before. That’s probably why you’re here — because you want to improve quality and lower costs for people with complex needs.
Welcome to the Better Care Playbook. We’re here to help. In this post, we’ll introduce you to the Playbook and suggest some ways to get the most out of it.
The Better Care Playbook is part of an effort led by five national foundations to offer you the latest information and resources on how to provide better care for people with complex needs. The rapidly evolving policy and payment environment is creating considerable pressure to change, and change fast. The Playbook is designed to give you the practical answers you need to get started or accelerate your work in addressing this critical problem.
To that end, the Playbook offers a highly curated group of resources, including peer-reviewed journal articles, case studies, step-by-step guides, and practical tips. These resources and tools are designed to help health care organizations, particularly those participating in value-based payment models like accountable care organizations and Medicare Advantage plans, improve care for people with complex needs.
Here are four ways to find the information you need:
- By key question. Experts at the Institute for Healthcare Improvement have sorted the literature on people with complex needs into four questions that users most often asked:
- Why invest in redesigning care for people with complex needs? Find information on the business case and the human impact to inspire your leadership to act.
- Who are patients with complex needs? Find the latest research to understand the segments within this diverse population so that care models can be matched appropriately.
- What care models are promising? Find evidence on the most promising care models, such as the Care Transitions Intervention and CareMore.
- What are key elements to redesigning care? Find more information on the “how” of care redesign and implementation.
- By your role . Under the tab, “I am a…” you can find resources specifically geared toward health system leaders, payers, and policy makers.
- By population served. We’ve adapted a segmentation strategy created by the National Academy of Medicine to sort resources by which population they pertain to, such as frail older adults or people with advanced illness. Find this under the tab labeled, “I want better care for…”
- Search. Type your topic into the search bar and scan the entire site
Sign up now to be notified when new information becomes available.
We’d love your feedback on how we can better help you in your journey to improve health and lower costs. Send us an email at Playbook@IHI.org.